Monday, August 08, 2005

Monday Musings, The Second

Today I think I’m gonna talk a little bit about Ultimate Iron Man/Orson Scott Card.

Back when UIM was first announced, I didn’t know all that much about Card. I knew he had written the Ender’s Game series of books, and I actually had some of them, but hadn’t read any of them yet. I’ve since read Ender’s Game, and the first two books of the Ender’s Shadow companion series, and am quite impressed. I plan on reading more of what Card has written at some point in the future. It’s really great stuff.

Thinking it over, Card writing Ultimate Iron Man makes perfect sense. His Ender series focuses on kids, and who is the star of UIM? Why, young Tony Stark of course. Card has an excellent grasp of writing exceptionally bright children. They still have the naivety of childhood, but at the same time they also seem very adult in their burdens and experiences.

Issue three of UIM just came out last week, and things are starting to pick up. Tony is grade school age now, and it’s been determined that he must constantly wear a biological armor developed by his dad. In addition to this armor, which protects him from virtually all harm, he seems to have regenerative capabilities as well, due to genetic manipulation while he was in the womb. We were also introduced to Jim Rhodes, who readers might also know as War Machine in regular Marvel Continuity.

There are two more issues in the current mini-series, and then another 5-issue mini will start. I’m curious how Card is going to break them up. I think the current series will see Tony to the end of high school, and then the second one will probably depict him in college years, or perhaps after college and beginning his company. However he does it, I’m looking forward to it quite a bit. Card is extremely innovative with his scifi ideas, and I think his take on Ultimate Iron Man thus far is pretty slick.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cronin said...

I have been enjoying it so far, although I think that his Rhodey was a bit...1990s.

A lot of that dialogue would have been real hip in 1991.

Now?

Not so much.

8/10/2005 8:57 PM  
Blogger Sean Hutchinson said...

Maybe you're just not hip to the groove of the lingo of the streets, daddio.

8/11/2005 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home