Thursday, August 04, 2005

Filling You In: Cool Comic Fill-Ins

Here is a nice new shtick!

I will point out cool fill-in issues of the past (or present, I guess)!

By fill-in, I mean that neither the regular writer nor the regular penciller worked on the comic.

Today's entry is Avengers #280, from June 1987.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The issue was written by Bob Harras, from before he became a successful Marvel editor.

It was all about the Avengers' faithful butler, Jarvis, who was severely injured in the recent siege on Avengers Mansion by the Wrecking Crew.

The Avengers and Jarvis flashback through the Avengers' past in a visit to the past that would make Kurt Busiek proud...characters addressing their actions from the past ...it was nice to see.

Bob Hall did a good job on the pencils, but it was the inks from a young Kyle Baker that really shined in this issue.

Very nice art.

So for a well-thought out, personalized, characterization-heavy story, this was quite good.

Feel free to suggest some other fill-ins that you think are notable enough that I should feature them!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thor#356 (I think.) Hercules takes over the book as Walt Simonson gets to go outside for a month. It is brilliant, I will brook no dissension on this topic. Thanks!
Chuck T.
googum@hotmail.com

8/05/2005 12:54 PM  
Blogger Ken Robinson said...

And you won't get any dissention (at least, not from me). Good call. Even more interesting is that Thor 356 was ALSO written by Bob Harras (Hmm...)

I've always liked Vigilante 17-18, by Alan Moore and Jim Baikie. I've never much liked the character, but this two-issue storyline was really good.

8/05/2005 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home