Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One cool thing about New Avengers this week

Major Spoilers for Ronin follow. be warned.













Isn't it cool how Ronin(who is deaf) could not hear what Iron Man was saying, nor Spider-Man, because she could not read their lips?

At first, when I reading it, it read like Ronin is being the silent type, not wanting to answer Spider-Man's questions. Then, looking at it more closely, she answers Luke Cage's questions. Why? Because she could not read Spider-Man's lips through his mask. Then, later, Captain America has to keep repeating everything Iron Man says to her, because she can not see Iron Man's mouth beneath his mask, and can see Captain America's.

I just found that to be a cool little thing Bendis threw in the comic, without ever actually explaining it to the reader.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been following New Avengers at all, but the idea of a deaf hero is very interesting to me (I have a deaf sister). So she hasn't told anyone that she's deaf? How did Bendis get that across to the reader, then? Or is this another one of those obscure characters that Bendis is so fond of, and you remembered that she's deaf?

12/01/2005 8:08 AM  
Blogger Ronald Bryan said...

She's a fairly obscure character who was in david mack's two daredevil arcs. And, to keep the mystery up, Bendis did not let on that she was deaf by actually saying she was. However, reading the scene between her, Captain America, and Iron Man, it's fairly easy to tell, when Cap keeps repeating everything Iron Man says to her. He could have done it a bit easier, but it works.

12/01/2005 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I was willing to give this New Avengers a chance because I've been waiting for Spidey to join for years, but to have it be on a team filled with a bunch of second-stringers, characters that simply don't belong on the same team as Captain America (Wolverine anyone) and characters almost no one has heard of (no pun intended)feels extremely anti-climatic... I personally didn't get the whole deaf thing till I read your post and still have no idea who this character is supposed to be beyond a friend of DD. I thought it was just Bendis and his annoying habit of having characters repeat the same thing over several pages and call it realistic dialogue... I figured from the issue before it was a girl under the mask, but I was hoping it would be someone semi-iconic, like Elektra (though I know that doesn't work in continuity right now)or at least Black Cat... Either way, this seems less like the big guns of the Marvel universe, and more like Avengers Detroit to me...

12/02/2005 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home